Saturday, October 20, 2012

The Marlinespike

There are three equally valid spellings for the name of this tool: marlinespike, marlinspike and marlingspike. The term derives from a particular form of tarred cordage called...you guessed it...marline, marlin or marling. The tool is often made of a hard wood such as lignum vitae, or of metal. Some have actually been made from the bill of a marlin (fish), a fact which causes some confusion in etymological debates. In any event, no one who works with rope on a serious basis should be without one of these handy implements. I finally found one suitable for my small hands and the smaller materials I prefer, saving the points of my poor, abused embroidery scissors for more delicate work.

Although I am not working aboard a ship, I attached a wrist lanyard to my marlinespike. It keeps me from having to search for it down behind the cushions of my chair (a place which is home to any number of pins, beads and pencil stubs). The lanyard was quite quick and simple to make: two eye splices meeting in the center, a seizing 'round the ends of both, a running Turk's-Head to cover it, and another to serve as a slider to tighten the lanyard around the wrist. As a former mountain climber, I am no stranger to having all sorts of things attached to my person lest they be lost in an inattentive moment. A tool gone over the side does you no good at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment